Colibri vintage table lighter - changing the wick and flint

Would you like to identify and get more information about particular cigarette lighter you own? This is the right place to do it!

Postby Swisschrismiss » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:31 pm

IMG_3486.JPG
Hello, I found this Colibri table lightzer at a local second-hand shop and liked it a lot ! However, I have no experience in this area and don't seem to find how I can open it.

I brought it to the local tobacco shop, where the lady was pulling and pushing dangerously. Any idea how it opens and what it is made of ? Many thanks !
Attachments
IMG_3488.JPG
IMG_3487.JPG

Sponsor

Sponsor

Site Admin

Re: Colibri vintage table lighter - changing the wick and fl

Postby table-lighters » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Dear Christine,

thank you for your post. You have a nice Colibri wick lighter made in England in the late 1950s/early 1960s. The base is made of catalin - a thermosetting polymer developed and trademarked in 1927. Objects made of this polymer are quite sought after these days.

There is no other way to get it working without pulling the lighter insert. It gets sometimes stuck (it is very air tight) so you have to pull hard (no thread!). I hope you will manage!

colibri-catalin-lighter.JPG
Colibri lighter insert and lighter base

Best wishes,
Sebastian

Re: Colibri vintage table lighter - changing the wick and fl

Postby Swisschrismiss » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Dear Sebastian,

That's fantastic ! Thanks for this information, it is really helpful. I'm sure I will manage now that I know where to pull.

I'm looking at the lighter right now, and the dating makes perfect sense : round, generous and "modern" at the same time. To know all this makes my purchase even more precious.

I am very grateful for your help.

Christine

Return to Table/Desk and Pocket Lighters