To polish or not to polish ?

Technical forum for discussion on such topics like "how to", repairs, maintenance of lighters etc.

Postby leecreighton » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:22 am

So I have two lighters here. One is a very familiar Copper Camel lighter (although I don't remember who made it) and secondly I have a brass lighter labeled Brass No 5, whose maker I've never known.

I think the camel lighter has very little value beyond it being a lighter it's self. But it's got rather a lot of black staining around the wheel, the hinge for the top, all around the top. Should I clean the slider, or leave it as it is?

Same question for the Brass No 5. It is possible that this is a 1940s lighter, but as you can see it's got lots of spots and debris. Should I keep the patina, or polish it with Brasso?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
--
Lee Creighton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/leecreighton

Sponsor

Sponsor

Site Admin

Re: To polish or not to polish ?

Postby table-lighters » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:22 pm

I would definitely keep the patina on both lighters!

Re: To polish or not to polish ?

Postby silentflame » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Here is my opinion on cleaning lighters. Never do anything to a true trench art lighter like polishing. Factory made lighters are a different story. I clean, polish and get them as close to the way they came from the factory. I try to restore all my factory made lighters to working condition.

Return to The workbench